How do I dispose of: 

Mixed materials (oil and gas, antifreeze and oil, etc.)
Recycled at no charge but the container’s contents must be clearly labelled for sorting. Improperly sorted chemicals can cause health and safety hazards.
Empty aerosol containers
Put in blue box for recycling if empty.  If any material is left, bring to the hazardous waste depot.
Paint cans
Place empty metal paint cans in blue box for recycling. Plastic paint cans with dried paint on the inside should be put in the garbage. If there is paint leftover, bring it to the hazardous waste depot for proper recycling.
Green camping propane cylinders
Must recycle at the hazardous waste depot only: propane cylinders cannot be recycled through the blue box system as they are pressurized and present a major health and safety hazard to drivers and sorters.
 Acceptable container sizes
Pails or containers accepted to a maximum of 5 gallons (18-20 liters).
Do I need approval first before going to the hazardous waste depot?
If you are unsure about the type or amount of material you have, call ahead to 519-539-9800 or toll free to 1-800-755-0394.

Depot information


384060 Salford Road
Salford, ON N0J 1W0


The depot is open 6 days/week:

Monday to Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


Recycling hazardous materials is no charge.

 Bringing hazardous materials to the depot

Bring materials to the depot in a sealed container to a maximum size of 20 litres or 5 gallons. Note: all containers are also considered contaminated and must remain at the site.

The depot will accept household hazardous waste from Oxford County residences only.

  • Paints and coatings, plus their containers
  • Batteries (auto, alkaline and rechargeable)
  • Motor oil and oil filters, plus their containers
  • Pharmaceuticals and sharps
  • Fluorescent bulbs and tubes
  • Propane tanks
  • Antifreeze, plus their containers
  • Pesticides
  • Fertilizers
  • Flammable materials and solvents
  • Aerosols
  • Acids and bases
  • Mercury
  • Oxidizers
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Household cleaners
 What happens to hazardous materials?

Hazardous materials should be used fully at home for their designed purpose to eliminate the need for recycling the material. If there is some hazardous material left, or they are items such as batteries that have a set useful life, the hazardous waste can be recycled. Recycling segregated loads of residential hazardous materials is no charge.

  • Paint is recycled into new paint.
  • Metals in batteries are used in fertilizers.
  • Motor oil and other petroleum based products are recycled as fuel additives or burned as fuel in industrial processes.
  • Vegetable oil and other fats, oils and greases (FOGs) are processed into a bio-diesel fuel. Learn more about the FOG Cup Program
  • A number of materials are disposed of safely in a hazardous waste landfill specially engineered to ensure specific hazardous materials do not contaminate groundwater.
 Disposing of sharps and Needles

What are sharps?

"Sharps" is a medical term for devices with sharp points or edges that can pierce the skin. Examples include needles, syringes, insulin "pen-tips", etc.

Why can't sharps go in the garbage or blue box?

For the health and safety of our waste collectors, DO NOT put syringes in the garbage or recycling or flush them down the toilet. They are medical waste and need to be disposed of safely to prevent the possible spread of diseases.

Garbage and recycling pick-up could be discontinued at a property if sharps are found poking out of garbage bags or in recycling boxes.

Please handle used/discarded sharps with care.

  • Use pliers, tongs or tweezers to pick up sharps. You can use a thick cloth or wear a thick glove, but be extra careful.
  •  Hold the sharps tip away from you. Be careful not to prick yourself with the tip.
  •  Children should be taught never to touch a discarded sharp but to show an adult where it is.
  •  Pharmacies will accept sharps waste in a properly sealed container available from participating pharmacies. You can also type “sharps” into the “What goes where?” tool for a listing of locations near you.
 Unacceptable materials
  • PCB waste
  • Asbestos
  • Radioactive waste
  • Flares
  • Fireworks and ammunition
  • Pathological waste
  • Open or leaky containers

Call 519-539-9800 ext. 3159 to get information on how to safely dispose of this material.

Note – we have answers for asbestos, flares, fireworks and ammunition, pathological waste (Stericycle) and open or leaky containers.