Can I select a unit size?

Yes, you can let us know what size of unit you want to live in. However, your choice must fall within a range of unit sizes that is set by the occupancy standards that apply to your household size. The standards are:

  • there can be no less than one person per bedroom
  • applicants can choose to have two children of the same sex share a bedroom
  • couples (married, common-law, same-sex partners) are allocated one bedroom only
  • single adults are each allocated one bedroom
  • a single adult may choose a bachelor-style (no bedrooms) unit if there are no other household members
  • if there is a documented medical need, a child is expected, or there are documented child custody requirements, an extra bedroom may be provided
 How are subsidized units allocated?

Applicants are offered units in order of date they completed their application. Victims of family violence are an exception to this rule and may be placed higher on the list than a non-special priority household. If you have questions about special priority status, please contact us.

As your name nears the top of the waitlist, you will be contacted to provide additional information to make sure you qualify for rent-geared-to-income housing.

 How is rent-geared-to-income rent calculated?

A rent-geared-to-income unit is calculated based on 30% of the gross household income to a maximum of the established "market rent" (going rate) for the unit (with the exception of Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program recipients).

The minimum rent for a unit is $85.00, plus any applicable utility charges.

For more details about how a rent is calculated, income and asset limits, please contact Human Services.

 Can I transfer to another unit or building?

External transfers: Tenant requested, one housing provider to another

Tenants who want to transfer to a unit with another housing provider must complete an application form, signed by all household members 16 years of age or older, and submit it to Human Services.

The application will be placed on the waiting list for that unit and ranked by the date of the application to transfer and location preference. Tenants must meet the eligibility criteria for the unit.

Contact us with questions about the following types of transfers:

  • Internal transfers: Special priority, victims of family violence
  • Over-housed and under-housed tenants (mandatory for continued subsidy)

Internal transfers: Tenant requested (O. Reg. 339/01 s. 11)

Tenants who want to transfer to another unit with the same housing provider will be placed on the housing provider’s internal waiting list, ranked by date and location preference, and will be listed as an internal applicant. They must meet the following basic criteria:

  • they must have lived in their present accommodation for twelve (12) consecutive months;
  • they must have been up to date with their rent for a minimum of six (6) months;
  • they must continue to meet the eligibility criteria.

Internal applicants who have an urgent need to move to another unit will be given priority if they meet the following additional criteria:

  • serious medical/health and/or social needs which would result in great hardship to the applicant if he/she must wait a long period of time for the new accommodation;
  • personal safety issues of an extraordinary nature, where a member of the household is at risk (this designation would be at the discretion of the housing provider).
 Where are the locations?

Rent-geared-to-income units can be found in the following communities:

  • Drumbo
  • Embro
  • Ingersoll
  • Norwich
  • Princeton
  • Tavistock
  • Thamesford
  • Tillsonburg
  • Woodstock

For more details about rent-geared-to-income housing in these communities, search the Rent-Geared-to-Income Directory

 Can I refuse an offer of a unit because I want another one?

Yes. However, a household is removed from the waiting list for rent-geared-to-income housing if it refuses one (1) offer of rent-geared-to-income units that:

  • are the size the household applied for and are eligible for, as determined by the occupancy standards;
  • the unit that is offered is in a housing project for which the household has indicated a preference on the application.

The exception to the refusal of one offer is Special Priority Status applicants. For additional details please contact us

How to Apply

 Apply for rent-geared-to-income
There are several ways to apply for rent-geared-to-income housing:
  • Complete the form online (Subsidized Housing Application)
  • Fill out an application form in person at any Human Resources location
  • Print the application form, or contact us to have an application mailed to you.
 Applying for a modified special needs units

Applicants may apply directly to each non-profit housing provider with modified units.

Human Services will also accept and process applications for modified units and will work with each housing provider to ensure equal access to all applicants.

 Applying for modified and supportive units

Modified and supportive housing units may have:

  • accessibility modifications for people who need help living on their own, for instance, wheelchair ramps; or,
  • provincially-funded support services that help residents live independently in the community, such as an on-site support worker; or,
  • both types of supports.
 Applying for supportive units

Some housing providers in Oxford County have referral agreements with support agencies. These organizations provide the support an applicant may need to live independently in the community.

These agencies have their own selection and placement criteria for Oxford County rent-geared-to-income units, but applicants must also meet Oxford County’s basic eligibility criteria. For more information, please contact the following support agencies:

Applying for Special Priority Status

The Oxford County Human Services Department Special Priority Policy for Applicants who are abused, gives priority access for housing to applicants whose personal safety, or whose family’s safety is at risk because of abuse by a partner/spouse or other family member with whom they live in a familial relationship.  Applicants in this situation receive priority access to permanent housing to enable them to permanently separate from the abuser.

Applicants can apply for Special Priority Status by completing a Special Priority Status Verification Document, which can be accessed by clicking here. All applications need to be returned in person to any Human Services location or via email to

Lease and occupancy requirements

Only the people whose names are on a property lease may occupy, or live in, the housing unit.

The lease or occupancy agreement must be signed by everyone on the lease whose income is used to calculate the cost of rent. 

You cannot transfer or reassign a rent-geared-to-income lease or agreement, or sublet a rent-geared-to-income unit to someone else. If anyone listed on the lease is no longer living in the unit, you must let Human Services know.

Eligibility rules

In order to apply for rent-geared-to-income housing:

  • At least one member of a household must be 16 years old or older.
  • Each member of a household must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or a refugee claimant.
  • No immigration deportation order can have been made or become effective for any members of the household.
  • No member of a household may owe unpaid rent, or money due to damages, for another social housing unit.
  • No member of a household can have a conviction for misrepresenting his or her income for a social housing application.